Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sorry, no photo.. yet

...so I come home and get straight to business after taking some shots at the skate park today..

I was not paying attention and slipped the SD card into the optical drive which was more than happy to swallow it whole and hide the card behind its velvety flaps.. I unplug the Mac, and attempt (gently) to retrieve my card with a steak knife.. yeah, not happening.. so it's off to Gorham Micro I go to drop off the Mac so they can take her apart and fetch the card for only $85.. an hour later my phone rings, "the card's not in the optical drive.... there isn't anywhere else it could have gone" ..... silence ..... "it's in there." I tell him, "I'm not insane, I watched it go in... there's no way it just came back out on it's own." ..... more silence..... "I don't know what to tell you" he says... I said some bad words and may have growled out loud :-/ "listen, I watched it go in, I heard it rattling around when I was walking with it to your shop, it did not fall out. it. is. in. there. And now because you can't find it, I've lost my card, photos and it will probably melt or something and cause huge problems later"... "I'll look again tomorrow" he says.... 2 minutes later my phone rings.. he found it jammed into a heat sink; I'd say that's pretty amazing since he tried to convince me there isn't any way it could have gotten out of the optical drive aside from the way it went in... I was very excited :)

I learned a few lessons today...
1. a card reader is far less than the $85 labor if this ever happens again, now I shop.
2. sometimes it's important to really insist you're right and know what you're talking about
3. when you have a frustrating problem that becomes a compound problem that is partially resolved bringing you back to the original problem (needing to spend $85 for a stupid move on my part) it doesn't feel as frustrating as it did originally.


No comments:

Post a Comment